You must register for work when you apply for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits and are no longer attached to an employer. You can do this at your local IowaWORKS center or online. If you have already registered for work on www.iowaworks.gov, and have created a Employer Searchable resume you have met this requirement and no action is needed.
To Register for Work in Iowa, you must:
Complete registration and a resume using the IowaWorks website at www.iowaworks.gov
- Complete registration by logging into www.iowaworks.gov and completing all questions.
- Create a resume by clicking on "Resume Builder" from the left navigation bar or in the "Job Seeker Services" box on the dashboard/
- Click on the green button "Create New Resume".
- Select "Create Comprehensive Resume" and click "Next".
- Select "Yes, my resume will be available online for employers to view" and click "Next".
- Complete each section of the resume thoroughly
- When completed, select the green button "Save Resume & Return".
For any questions about completing your work registration or setting up your resume, contact your local IowaWORKS center
Failure to complete the online application will result in the denial of your unemployment benefits if you are required to look for work.
Additional information is available. Review these Frequently Asked Questions about Unemployment Insurance. For additional information or to better understand the eligibility requirements, please refer to the Unemployment Insurance Benefits Handbook or contact Customer Service at 866-239-0843.
If you do not live in Iowa, you must register for work with the nearest One-Stop Career Center in the state where you reside. You can find workforce services near you by using America’s Service Locator.
Completing your work registration is a separate process from applying for UI benefits.